This Grilled Pizza Recipe Is As Easy As It Gets
Allow me give you a little story behind a simple but delicious grilled pizza recipe I heard about and tried.
Since I work a regular job like most of you out there, it is an ongoing problem to try and get something on the table that tastes good and is ready by a decent time of night.
The thought of making something from a box or package is against every one of my moral fibers, so I am always trying to come up with ideas to make great meals in a short amount of time. And it's more than ok if it doesn't cost a small fortune to make. After all, this is a daily thing here.
Well, the other day I was driving home from work and, as usual, trying to decide what to make for dinner. I remembered a grilled pizza recipe I saw on a cooking show that seemed like it would be worth a try. And I had absolutely no doubt, were I to make it according to directions, that it would be delicious.
But I don't cook that way. I am pretty sure I have never followed a single recipe to the word in my whole 30 years of cooking life. It is always a little bit of this and a little bit of that. And depending on the dish, it usually contains lots of ingredients I already have. I throw them in when they seem like they would be good in my dish.
Although there is a very good pizza dough recipe below, the crust I used for this particular grilled pizza recipe was the kind that is already made and comes in a plastic bag. You know the one. Yes, I am semi-ashamed to admit it, but I used a pre-made pizza crust. This pizza was delicious.
GRILLED PIZZA RECIPE
Pizza Sauce Recipe:
This is a very good simple pizza sauce recipe. You could also use pizza sauce from a jar.
Put all into a small pot and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. Cut off heat and let sauce cool while you prepare everything else.
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp. Italian herbs
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Dash of pepper
- 1 tbsp. dried parsley flakes
Pizza Dough Recipe:
Like I said, I used a packaged pre-made pizza crust. Frozen pizza crust would also work well. But if you have the time and want to make everything from scratch, this pizza crust will work great in your grilled pizza recipe.
- 4 cups bread or all purpose flour (white)
- 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
- 1 packet active dry yeast, or 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (any good brand), but extra virgin is best
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar, or 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup milk or 1/4 cup water
Preheat oven 450�F.
I prefer using milk for the liquid in this recipe. It adds flavor to your dough. But if you don't have it, use water.
Using a large ceramic mixing bowl, or any suitable food safe bowl, add the flour, make a "well" in middle, and put in 1 teaspoon salt, stir to combine well. Set aside.
Prepare the starter: In a liquid measuring cup pour in 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water, 1 teaspoon sugar or honey, and one package of active dry yeast. Stir and set aside for 5 minutes. Allow to foam up (or proof).
Next, mix the starter (yeast water) and the milk in the bowl containing the flour with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Stir together using a wooden spoon or clean hands.
Note: You will need additional flour to knead on the surface that you're working on. Knead for about 8 minutes or until you get a smooth elastic rubbery dough ball.
Set aside in bowl, drizzle with a little olive oil to keep the dough from drying out. Let dough sit covered lightly with plastic wrap or use a plate or damp clean towel to cover it.
Allow the dough to rise for 30 minutes to an hour. Flatten dough and press out into a circle to fit the pan it will be baked in. Spread it out evenly, don't be afraid to lift underneath to stretch the dough. Sprinkle baking pan with yellow cornmeal or Farina. If you don't have these on hand you can use flour or simply grease the pan with olive oil using a paper towel.
Of course, no grilled pizza recipe would be complete without pizza toppings. I have one rule of thumb when it comes to the toppings. Put whatever you think would taste great on your any pizza. But if you would like some interesting suggestions, here are a few:
- If you like spicy things, try chipotle peppers, sliced fine. You can buy these at most grocery stores. They come in a small can with sauce. Great smoky taste!
- Certainly, for any grilled pizza recipe, you have to to try roasted vegetables like onions or bell peppers or tomatoes. I like to put whole ones on the hot grill and roast them till the skin is charred. You then let them cool and peel the skin off. then slice fine.
- I love to experiment with different kinds of cheese. One of my favorites for this or any grilled pizza recipe is guda. It already has a great smoky taste and it just brings it all together. I also like using soft cheeses like ricotta or cream cheese. Goat cheese would really be an interesting touch.
I hope this grilled pizza recipe brings out your creative spirit. Try it and experiment with the ingredients. I promise you will impress your family and friends. And since there are so many options that can be switched around, you can put this recipe into your regular rotation and never tire of it. Enjoy!