Best Hamburger Recipe for Grilled Hamburgers
Other than buying the right meat for a hamburger, the best hamburger recipe is one that puts the emphasis on hamburger grilling "preparation and techniques" more so than the ingredients. In other words, it is important to buy good ingredients, but if your techniques are wrong, your grilled hamburgers will be disappointing to say the least.
The best hamburger recipe should be one that produces the best results with the least amount of work. Many times the best grilling and barbecuing recipes are ones that require the least amount of work and the most patience. Grilled hamburgers are no exception. In almost every case, the best hamburger recipe is one that tells you(no, warns you) about overhandling the hamburger patties and the grill itself.
Follow the following steps and techniques that are layed out below. Salt and pepper is really all you need for added flavor, but if you are the experimental type, feel free to add ingredients like different spices or flavors into the meat at any time before cooking. Again, the most important thing to remember is not to over-handle everything.
1) Buy about 1/2 lb. of ground chuck per person or hamburger. It needs to be chuck because that is the most flavorful ground beef with just the right amount of fat. That's because it comes from only one cut of meat. Fat content should be about 15-22%(Check with your butcher if you're not sure if his chuck meat is).
2) Chill the ground chuck until ready to form patties. With clean hands, take enough meat to form into balls about the size of a baseballs. Then press down, either in your hands or on a clean cutting board. Press and shape, using your hands and fingers to form the edges. Be careful not to over-handle the meat in this step. The patties don't have to be perfectly round. Patties should be about 1/2 inch thick. Season with salt and pepper and anything else you might like.
3) Fire up your grill, and when it is good and hot(medium to low-sized flames are about right) place patties on grill directly over flames. Now close the lid and leave it closed for about 3-4 minutes. Do not be tempted to open the lid, and definitely do not ever poke the patties with a fork or knife, or press patties down with a spatula, as all the juice will drip out.
4) Open lid, flip burgers, close lid again, and leave for another 3-4 minutes. Check doneness by pressing slightly with a finger or the end of the spatula. It should be firm(about the same as the flesh between your thumb and forefinger). Here you can put a slice of cheese if you like and leave just a minute or so, until cheese just starts to melt.
5) Take the burgers off the grill with the spatula and turn off grill. Serve on fresh hamburger buns with any toppings you like.
If you're the type that has to have a recipe with ingredients and directions, here is a really good one for cheeseburgers.
Best Hamburger Recipe With Cheese
1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 slices Monterey Jack cheese
4 hamburger buns
4 lettuce leaves
4 tomato slices
In a medium bowl, using your hands, gently combine the ground chuck with the ketchup, basil, thyme, salt, Worcestershire, Tabasco, and pepper. Gently shape into 4 patties, each about 3/4 inch thick.
Grill the patties over direct medium-high heat until medium, 10 to 12 minutes, and turning once. About a minute before you pull off the patties, place a slice of cheese on each to melt.
Grill the hamburger buns, cut side down, until toasted, about a minute or two. Put the cheeseburgers together using lettuce, tomato, and ketchup, mustard, or whatever toppings you like. Serve.
Here's my candidate for the best hamburger recipe with a kick to knock your socks off. These chipotle peppers are not for the timid. Adjust the heat if you need to.
Red River Hamburgers
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onions
2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
2 seeded and minced fresh serrano chiles
3 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 hamburger buns
Sliced red onion
In a large mixing bowl combine chopped onions, bread crumbs, serrano peppers, chipotle peppers, and salt. Add beef and mix well. Shape the meat mixture into four patties about 3/4" thick. Grill hamburger patties on the grill directly over medium flames for about 7 minutes per side until done throughout. Brush buns with olive oil and grill lightly, about 1 minute.
Serve burgers on grilled or toasted bread or buns with desired catsup, green tomato slices, red onion slices, and serrano chiles, if desired.
I am sure you will agree that any of these recipes and/or hamburger-making methods could be candidates for the best hamburger recipe there is, not just because of what what was put into them, but because of the easy steps and techniques used to make great hamburgers.
Head to the Texas Barbeques Homepage and Leave the Best Hamburger Recipe Page
- Leave the Best Hamburger Recipe Page and See Other Great Grill Recipes